Monday, November 19, 2012

In Memoriam: Rogelio Briones (May 13, 1945 - August 14, 2008) (multiply post, Aug 15, '08 11:51 AM) )

I received the text message from my sister at around 7pm while in the UP campus in Diliman. "Kuya, c uncle mg-1 iniwan n tau" (Kuya, si Uncle. Magwa-1pm, iniwan na tayo).

I have readied myself for this. A few days ago, I have heard from my Father that Uncle was not that clean anymore. He throws his used tissue anywhere in the hospital room of the Victor Potenciano Polymedic Hospital. He doesn't think of the smell his underwears are emitting. He scolds the nurses and even Father whether they did something not right. He doesn't like the taste of his medicines and even subtracts a little of the dosages. He also attempted to drink rubbing alcohol. Good thing my younger brother didn't give it to him.

The doctor had said that Uncle's cancer is on Stage 4. That we have to be ready. Almost a year ago, he was operated in his esophagus for a mass of flesh is blocking it. That's why he can't eat properly. The doctors at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center advised him to undergo chemotherapy. He became worried about the high cost of it. He resorted to veggie meat as an alternative. But the nutrients he needed are not supplied by these alternatives. He followed the doctors' advise.

Last month, he was confined at the Potenciano. He became thin since May for he frequently coughs. I could not visit him for I was too busy in work and in my MA studies. When I heard that Uncle couldn't breathe normally, I promised to visit him today, August 15. But I was too late.

He was a generous Uncle. When I and my brother are here in the city for our work and studies, he offered his apartment for us so we could be near our schools. Yesterdays news of his death put me in a loss of a dear relative.

To you, Uncle Roger, peace is now in you. Meet the Creator with a smile for you have done wondrous things while here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment